Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Relief

I have done this before...what some good horses will tolerate. It's amazing what trust can do.

I am officially relieved of my position as mommy after getting all of the kiddies off to school this morning. Their dad is home, so I can resume my life as normal. My life is far from normal though, so I have no idea what that really means.... trust me, normality and this cowgirl don't always see eye to eye.

Speaking of trust, I am still earning the trust of two of the three young horses that I have here. One of them is super friendly; but the other two haven't been handled much; or they were handled poorly. Those two are pains in the ass to catch, but at least now they come running when I holler, because I always have something yummy in a bucket.

Whoa seems to be an issue for one...but I think we are starting to speak the same language. Whoa doesn't mean slowly start to think about slowing down and stopping. It means STOP, NOW. Round pens are great for that. Anything I train better come to a screeching halt when the word whoa is mentioned. Without it, riding/driving a horse would be like being in a car with the brakelines cut.

One should probably be concerned when another trainer sends one horses to start. In some ways, I suppose it says alot about me and my abilities to make connections with horses that might other wise never become good, happy horse citizens. However, it does leave me questioning whether or not I am crazy...

My three "students" are english (saddleseat) prospects, meaning that they have a lot of natural heighth and animation in their movement. Two are National Show Horses (double registered half Arabians, the other half being American Saddlebred), and the third horse is a very showy Arabian. They'll spend a lot of time in lines (see below) and eventually I'll hook'em up to a training cart, probably before I ever climb up on them.




I am severely missing going to horse shows all across the country; this is my first year of not doing so. Of course I had the schooling show this year, but that doesn't really count. I guess I need to step back and remember why I am taking a break. Here are a few good stories about my life showing horses. I have tons more, which I'll eventually share at some point, I am sure. I have yet to indulge in my William Shatner run-ins at horse shows (he shows Saddlebreds and Quarter Horses), as I don't want to dissolve the illusion created by Boston Legal for some. He does have some nice horses though.

A storm's rolling in, but not anything of significance. Perhaps something will kick up later.

Those people protesting the gas prices were there in full force today; all eight of them drove themselves! Didn't seem to be accomplishing much, as the pumps were full as I drove by. They have good intent, but they are looking for relief in the wrong place, I am afraid.

15 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

Somehow I am always first. Your horses are all so beautiful/handsome? You are very lucky to being doing work that you love and have a passion for. Gas back under $3.00 a gallon, sure it will back up soon.
Brian

1:51 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

how lame am I? I really enjoyed watching that beauty prancing on the lines!

I just read your link to your post about your job. Interesting. Maybe I should tell people what I do some day.

2:53 PM  
Blogger ariel said...

exciting when you talk about horse training. how many things to pay attention to!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Brian, life is too short to ride an ugly horse. The breeds I currently work with rarely have mediocre looks, but if a horse can excel at something, then looks don't matter.

Pretty is as pretty does.

I might be driving my horse to town; I've done it before!

Kyahgirl, you are far from lame. I can watch a good moving horse any day. I've got more videos of beauties that I'll post soon.

You should share what you do. Unless it is top secret. ;)

Thanks Ariel; training is harder than it looks, especially when you are talking show horses. It is not about just staying on, that's for sure. It's like an athlete in training for certain competitions.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous shelleigh (aka Pixie) said...

Have a wonderful time in Kentucky doll! God knows you deserve a "dream come true"! Your horses are abso-freaking-lutely the luckiest alive to have you as their human.

Cowgirl for PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happiness!

Wombat!!!!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

I hope you have a blast in KY... and I love that pic... BTW...

9:58 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

That was great, seeing you at work and everything. I like it when bloggers become a little personal. I bought a video cam too, but somehow I canĀ“t load the software to my computer to do anythign with...but this too shall pass:)
and Kyahgirl...yeha that would be interesting!

4:10 AM  
Blogger brian said...

News flash. Gas at $2.75 a gallon. Oil companies to lay off thousands due to slumping profits.
Brian

5:18 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

What a beautiful horse and what great posture! Did you train her/him?

You would take issue with the idiot who was my riding "teacher" (she never deserved that title) when I was a child. I was placed on a horse I loved, Sandokan, and the idiot teacher put my horse behind my cousin's horse, a horse Sandokan hated.

Sandokan tried to nibble the butt of her nemesis and pretty soon, here we were, on our first lesson and my horse and my cousin's horse were at a full gallop! The teacher just stood there in the middle whispering "Whoa" and the horses would not stop and said teacher looked scared to even try to stop them. How my cousin and I never fell off I do not know! Finally my aunt just jumped right in and grabbed the horses, yelled Whoa and forced them to stop...

I have never ridden since but have made quite a horse friend along the way... I do better with horses face to face than on their backs! ;-P

They are amazing and soulful and, from what I remember, have great memories and once a friend of a horse, you're always a friend of a horse...

6:33 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

its all about trust, thats the whole foundation, your work is cut out for you. Shatner, Capt. Kirk? omg I cannot stand that man! oops, I hope hes not your bud or anything...but I just cant see ya buddying up with the likes of him cowgirl. He shows saddlebreds, right?

7:48 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

The longing movie made me nostalgic. Is that your round corral?

7:57 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Shell, I think the horses think that. Sometimes it makes me sad to get a connection with a horse, and then have to give them back to their owner, unknowing of what their life holds for them.

I certainly could use a dream come true!

Shayna! I am so going to have a blast in Kentucky. Abso-freakin-lutely LOVE Kentucky. I feel like I am home there...

Miz B, I am in love with that filly! She is so sweet and is going to make someone a heck of a show horse. She'll be at Nationals this year!

Well, perhaps you need to go riding here!

Barngoddess, the saddlebred shows is how I have seen Shatner in action. He does alot of good things for charity, but by no means is he my "bud."

I have shown/trained a little bit of everything...

Doug, that is what I call the bull pen, because the horses can't see out! Lovely thing it is.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Minka, I am going to try to do more videos now that I have figured out how to do it...

8:12 AM  
Anonymous pia said...

Glad that you're getting your life back. The horses are beautiful

9:09 AM  
Blogger Major John said...

Hey, I'd come running if you yelled and something yummy in a bucket! How 'bout Moosetracks or Jarlings Custard?

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home