Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Photo Journey In Cornland


ADDENDUM:

Major John of the Miserable Donuts let us know that the Inner Prop recieved the "Pimp Hand Reaching to Slap You" Humanitarian Service Medal. I have Moosetracks in the freezer, if you want to come over and celebrate.
Coop on Virgin Pledges, Contra Contrapception and…My School Sucks. The title is self-sufficient.
The ZenFo Pro is back in action.

Need a laugh? Check out the captions entered in Sar's Tell Me Tuesday contest so far...OMG there has got to be something in the water.

I just love pia's writing. Makes me want to be a writer.

Life is just so entertaining here in the Corn Desert. So entertaining, that I decided to share an adventure with you. Please BYOB and enjoy. All I ask is that you don't liter and don't leave any containers in the bed of my truck. Occifers (yes, occifers) tend to frown upon that.

What a wonderful flat background in this picture. Pretty soon, there will be nothing but corn. This guy was not happy about me picking up this live trap... but hey, he was eating the cat food!
Plus, he is lucky I "havahart," as there are other ways to stop thieves...he was just lucky he was a little guy and still cute. His fortune could have been worse if Dad had seen him...

I even gave him water. Guess this dish is a barn cat dish now...what a sap I am.

But, hey, he has a cute little masked face. Even if his face looks slightly caddywhompus...

He was a little pissed off about the truck ride. I took this after jumping on the tailgate of my truck...didn't really want him trying to get me after I opened the trap. Rabies shots hurt like hell. But I ended up having to "help" him out, because all he did was stare at me, while his freedom awaited him...

This is an all too familiar sight around here. See how he has to make sure the arms of the disc miss the stoplights? I need to wash the windshield...look at the bug guts!

Still behind the tractor...I've learned that sometimes it is better to let some of the hot rodders pass first... there is always some jerk that flies from the back of the line, just asking for trouble. So I putz along till it is safe...

Somehow this part of my windshield isn't as nasty looking...yes, I am looking at the road!

15 Comments:

Anonymous pia said...

Once when I when I was driving to Boulder with my then husband for a sec and our best friend--we seemed to spend three days driving through Kansas--saw so many corn silos--I began to hallucinate office buildings

Turned out to be very sick--and had to be rushed to a hospital. My ex insists to this day that I filled "male" in for my sex. Never occurred to me until much later that maybe he should have filled in the form.

But I always did like to be in control, so...

11:33 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

LOL pia! "Hallucinating office buildings" while sick during a road trip through the flat as a pancake states...

I prefer to be in control too...sometimes. ;)

11:36 AM  
Blogger brian said...

I can't show Diane these pictures, she freaks out every time the Animal Control people come around.
You know one of my favorite pastimes on those long family vacations out west was to count grain elevators by company name.
I know you are teasing and I don't mind. See you tomorrow.
Brian

12:45 PM  
Anonymous kyahgirl said...

strangely enough, I have many of the same views as you!

we don't have a long enough growing season to do well with corn but we're hell on wheels when it comes to canola, wheat, barley and cattle!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

This just makes me wanna take a ride with you one day. Both on horseback and on wheels. Lovely post!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Since when is turning coons loose on your neighbors compassionate?

5:30 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

I was raised on 'Full Cry" magazines and Walker Hounds. If I woulda caught this one, Id borrow Uncle D.'s old hound and the chase would be on....

7:19 PM  
Anonymous cooper said...

ha ha

I know nothing of hounds.

I knownothing of so much posted here I think I am going to have to add a year of college.
;)

9:35 PM  
Blogger avereragebusinessman said...

I've neverspent much time in "corn country" but one of my college roommates was from one of those " corn states".

Great fun posting cowgirl.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Cooper, instead of adding a year to college, google "RAGBRAI" and follow up. Am I right, Cowgirl? A perfect introduction for an East Coast Elite to the landscape, lifestyle and beer of the Corn Desert. You would still have to cross the big river to meet Cowgirl, though.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I am answering these a bit out of order.

Cooper, instead of adding a year to college, save your money and come stay here for a week or so. I'll teach you everything you want to know, and then some. ;)

Doug, Cooper probably could learn alot reading up about RAGBRAI...but crossing the big river would be more ideal, because then we could party it up Cowgirl style.

And it was a cute coon, so I am sure the neighbors won't mind until it get bigger...

Brian, so many of the elevators around here are owned by ADM. And if they aren't owned by ADM, they are owned by Cargill, or Tate & Lyle...sad about that.

Kyahgirl, I used to live in a part of Illinois where they raised pumpkins, tomatoes, green beans, peas, all sorts of melons, and sunflowers in HUGE fields with irrigation. That was much more interesting than corn and soybeans, lol. Plus the fresh veggies were great.

Minka, anytime you want to visit, just holler.

Barngoddess, I hear ya. But he was just a baby...and my nieces made me promise that I would live trap him...

Averagebusinessman, thanks. Anytime you want a tour, let me know.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous pia said...

Thanks for the shout out

And yes I did hallucinate office buildings.

with the guys I was traveling with somebody had to be in control.

We actually drove to Boulder for a specific reason--for my friend to show us his favorite restaurant--Taco Bell--NY didn't have any then

Did I mention that somebody had to have taste? My ex found restaurants to be depressing and filled with germs

They were childhood best friends--and were very confused when I came along and insisted on going to restaurants that had actual utensils, good food and service

11:47 AM  
Blogger brian said...

Thanks cowgirl, I left a follow-up comment for you. Thank you, you are as much of a cheerleader to me also.
Love Brian

12:37 PM  
Blogger Major John said...

Don't let the Inner Prop know you have Moosetracks! Nobody I know like ice cream more than the 'Prop...

7:32 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

this looks a lot like where i am right now, except instead of corn its wheat and instead of raccoons its bison.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home