Monday, May 08, 2006

My Old Kentucky Home

Poor J., I don't think he had any idea what he got himself into...bet that is why we made it there in less than four hours...

If you can't deal with only stopping one time during this trip to potty, then you sure as hell better not be drinking any more of that soda. One stop; that's all you get. Of course, he ended up stopping to "potty" before any of us even had to go...

Do you girls NOT know any of these songs? while listening to us sing in surround sound. His granddaughter was sitting in the front, while Bree and I were in the back harmonizing...

Why the hell aren't you girls startin' a band? You should be cuttin' records in Nashville, so that I can eject the CD when I get tired of hearin' ya. Ok, they're called albums now, J....

Somewhere around Indianapolis, our country station fizzles out, so we settle on a top 40 type station. Which was ok with J. - well, until they started playing rap. You girls call that crap music? My dogs howling sounds better than that!

J.'s funniest moment during the trip there was after listening to I'm N Luv (Wit A Stripper) by T-Pain. Damn strippers only listen to him sing because he pays them. J.!

J. and I left the sleepy heads sleeping, and went to the track Saturday morning. Famous, retired jockeys are good friends to have; he pretty much goes and does what he wants. Like watch Barbaro being exercised the morning of the big race. I couldn't believe they were working this horse on race day. This horse impressed me; he looked like a man among boys, he was so finely conditioned. Pointing at Barbaro, J. whispered There's the winner.

I of course was concerned that this horse was more of a turf horse than a dirt horse. But J. told me that the great ones can run on both.

Barbaro is sired by Dynaformer, whose stud fee is $100,000. Divide that in half, and that is how much the entry fee is to enter a horse in the Kentucky Derby.

After finding out Sweetnorthernsaint had bruised his hoof earlier, I decided he was no longer going to be the winner. Still like him, but I never bet on a horse with injuries. And J. heard that he hadn't been his usual self during workouts. Damn. He sure did have the Look of the Eagles though.


The winner of the 132nd Run for the Roses, Barbaro, with Edgar Prado in the irons. This was Prado's first win, after seven attempts.


Barbaro leaves the pack eating his dust, which ends up being the largest gap between the winner and the pack in 60 years. If you aren't making dust, you're eating it.

My picks:

Win - Barbaro (because J. knows his shit) - he won.

Place - Steppenwolfer (because he was having good workouts, unlike Showing Up and Sweetnorthernsaint; plus he reminds me of Monarchos, a previous Derby winnner) - he got third.

Show - Showing Up (who I just like) - He got sixth after Jazil and Brother Derek dead heated for fourth.

Watch the race here. I was dead on about Sinister Minister and Keyed Entry making this race fast and ahead of pace. It was one of the better races I have seen in years, as I watched the horses battle it out. I knew Barbaro was going to win after he made the last turn and starting to come down the stretch; he never showed signs of slowing down, and when Prado asked him to turn it on, Barbaro brought it. Steppenwolfer was just a little late stalking Barbaro, but he passed 4-5 horses effortlessly to Show. Somehow Bluegrass Cat managed to get second, and Steppenwolfer had enough juice left for third. Showing Up was sixth and Sweetnorthernsaint was seventh out of a field of twenty; those two wasted too much energy being boxed in, trying to find a clear path.

Barbaro paid me back 5-1 for the win; I bet $50 bucks. So I won $250. I had no idea what other bets to place, as I only thought Barbaro was a sure thing. Now I wish I would have done one of those things where you pick a few horses, as Steppenwolfer came through. Oh well.


Your traditional mint julep on Derby day costs $9.00, which after the drink is consumed, leaves one with a cool collectible glass. I have just one, because the beer was more feasible.

That purple band around her wrist is the brand one gets to parade around with as a member of the Millionaire's Row. Like her hat? She spent more on that than she did for that fancy mint julep.

Now, for those that want to donate money to a good cause and have a cooler memento than the rest of the Derby groupies, there is the $1000 fancy mint julep. Yep, $1000; bet no one sucked down this pricey cocktail fast. Comes in a gold plated cup, and is made with all sort of imported stuff. There were 50 available; and some how they managed to sell 50 of them. Impressive; the money goes to making sure retired racehorses stay off of the menu overseas.

My favorite celebrity at the races that wasn't a horse, trainer or jockey, was Jennifer Love Hewitt. She is so cute and sweet. But honestly, I was more interested in the horses than the celebrities.

There is much more to come about this weekend in regards to the Derby trip, Bree and I's karaoke Sunday with a guy from the 130th that I now have a thing for, and my escapades with a coon that has been eating the barn cats food. AND I have a photo update about those chicks that hatched earlier this Spring.

18 Comments:

Blogger arizona69 said...

Hi Legz!
Beautiful pics and Derby comments.
Welcome home, and thanks for compliments. What about Alpino's B&W photo? :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

cool! It looks like you had an awesome time. Some day I want to go.....if I had an extra grand in my pocket, Id buy one of those cups, especially if it helps old/retired horses, any horse for that matter : )

c'mon over to the res and check out my last post of some awesome horse driftwood art, amazing!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous cooper said...

Sounds like a great time. I am not much of a horse person but a friend of mine used to ride and do all that equestrain stuff and another friend of mine ,now in Colorado, has prarents who own a ranch there.

I think horses look like velvet and appeaer gentle though.

Nice pics and gald you had a good weekend.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

What a weekend. Great pics. Great stories. I am intrigued by this strange world of horses and such. Maybe even inspired...

7:18 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I was stuck watching it on TV, so I didn't get to place any bets. It looked like the day was nice. I think it might have been a little chilly though.

Did you get any where near millionaire's row?

7:58 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Sounds like you had a blast... good for you! :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

I'm so glad you had such a great time and shared it with us and pictures to boot! Next year I'll expect to see you covering a pre-event feature on tv. :)

9:04 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Hola,
Just a quick note. I really enjoyed this years race because I knew you were there. Looks like you had a great time. Be back later.

4:28 AM  
Blogger brian said...

O.K. Third time is the charm. Love your pics and commentary, just like being there. Like Barngoddess says, the $1000 juleps went to a good cause to help retired race horses. I never bet on sporting events because I never win, and don't have the money to spare.
Jennifer Love, smoking; oh of course, she has nothing on our cowgirl, incandescent.
Brian

9:02 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Arizona, I'll email ya about the photo.;)

Barngoddess - OMG I thought it was so funny that J. got all of the inside scoop of what was up with the horses on the backside. Like how Showing Up had cut his leg before the race, and the Sweetnorthernsaint had a bruised hoof...

I agree about the charity...they are trying to do a good thing. Did you hear that Ferdinand, who won nearly 4 million in his career, ended up being slaughtered in Japan after an unsucessful breeding career?

I'll check out your posts now that blogger is behaving.

Cooper, I had a blast. Most horses are wonderful, and do feel like velvet...sometimes. Mine right now looks like a mudball.

Jake, inspired enough to ride?

Chris, watching it on TV sometimes gives you a better view anyway. We actually had TV's where we were...and we snuck in Millinaire's Row. But shhhh...

Shayna, it was a blast. So glad I went.

Sar, I would jump at the chance to be a sportscaster for horse racing...OMG that would be awesome. I am enthralled with those ponies...

Brian, she isn't smoking...that is part of the window frame in the picture.

I had a wonderful time. I am not much on betting...but glad I did.

9:17 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

omg-NO! Ferdy was slaughtered? and no doubt ate by some nasty little Asian man.........grrrrrr

no, I am not being racist just honest!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

what an update-sounds fantastic. Happy birthday again cowgirl-that was a good one1

10:05 AM  
Blogger brian said...

I meant smoking hot, oh never mind. And I don't talk about "it" aaalll the time, just seems that way

10:15 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Yep, Barngoddess, Ferdi ended up on a plate. Sad, eh?

Kyahgirl, it was awesome. I am going to be on cloud nine for awhile.

Brian, OH I got you now...I blame that on all of the Derby madness...

I was just teasing about "it." I just knew that would be good!

11:29 AM  
Blogger EsotericWombat said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I know nothing of horses, so I guess there's not much else I can say, save that J sounds like a hell of a guy.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

How did I miss this?

*whistles*

11:10 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

I'm working on it as we speak.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

Where's the other picture???? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home