Friday, May 05, 2006

Evening Wear IS Required...Only After Six

Packing my last bit of stuff for my trip to the Derby. Including two dresses and heels, which makes me feel like I am going to a party instead of a race. Thank God I have been tanning, as those dresses show a lot of skin. Bree of course was packed yesterday, but she got a head start because she didn't unpack much from her business trip to Nashville.

So how do you say Louisville? I am curious.

We'll be leaving here in a bit...then going out on the town in Louisville after J. surprises us with which hotel we are staying at. Then most of Saturday I plan on living at the track, accompanying J. through the barns and the backside, then getting cleaned up for the races. Then Saturday we have parties to go to. Then a brunch on Sunday morning, then we are headed back home.

This years Kentucky Derby is a reminder that the race doesn’t always go to the swiftest. It usually goes to the stalker of the front runners.

Brother Derek is the favorite so far for the Derby. I was SO right, I knew he would be here. Am I good or what? I think he'll be in the mix, but I don't think he'll win.

The track is going to be fast tomorrow, and Sinister Minister is next to Keyed Entry in the line up in the gate close to the rail, which means this race is going to be fast, probably a rapid early pace. Steppenwolfer is next to them, so I am afraid he might get drawn into the speed, which would end his chances to win.

I still like Sweetnorthernsaint; can't help it...he won the Illinois Derby impressively. Showing Up (who I like too), Barbaro, and Bob and John are going to be in the mix, along with Steppenwolfer. But honestly, this race is going to be a good one. So watch!


Sweetnorthernsaint winning the Illinois Derby impressively.


Showing Up, after his win in the Lexington Stakes in Keeneland the weekend before my birthday.


I want to give a big shout out to the nearly 200 Illinois ARNG troops that are home after a year and a half in Iraq. Bravo Company, Second Battalion, 130th Infantry has finally made it back here to Illinois today. Also, members of Charlie Company, Second Battalion, 130th Infantry are also due back home a little later on today. Welcome home! Thank you for your service! Hooah!

This is very emotional for me, as a family member and some of my friends are in this unit. Can't make it there to say hello and thank you in person...I am feeling guilty about not being able to make it to the parades or parties...but I surely will go see them soon!!!

Major John, I have Moosetracks in the freezer...

Happy Cinco De Mayo! Sar is celebrating at her place.

12 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I've always pronounced it Lou-l-vull. Being a ginormous college basketball fan, I get to hear all sorts of pronunciations from around the country. Can't say enough, have a great time this weekend. And yes, great to have your troops back.
Brian

1:05 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Have fun in KY... bring us back a story or two or three... :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

You have fun out there and we would like pictures! Horses or dresses...both very good!
Have a lovely weekend and be safe out there!

4:14 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

loueyville.....hmf! Have a good time!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Have fun.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Loo-ee-vil... no?

Hope you have fun! No need to feel guilty about not being able to go see those returning from Iraq. The important thing is what's in one's heart and yours is beautiful enough as is! So go enjoy, live the moment, and be the belle of the ball!

Boho kisses coming your way!

12:55 AM  
Blogger arizona69 said...

I say l-oo-ees-v-eel, but only because il s'agit d'un nom d'origine français :)

4:13 PM  
Anonymous cooper said...

Hope you had a great time.

Hope you got a Mint Julep...they always sounded gross to me but somepeople seem to tolike them.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Major John said...

"Thank God I have been tanning, as those dresses show a lot of skin."

This you tell us, WITHOUT accompanying photos. O, cruel woman...heh.

BTW - I had to listen to the Derby on the way home from drill, that's what you get for being an officer. Was the last turn as exciting as the radio announcer made it seem? I thought the dude was going to have a stroke, he was so excited about how the winner pulled out and away.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Major John said...

Oh, and when I was a baby enlisted guy (mid 1980s) I was in the CSC 2/130th. I always try to follow the 2/130th, and am glad they are home!

BTW - I knew one person from "lou uh vull". It is difficult to phonetically spell the drop off in the middle of the word - I don't know how they do that.

Since you are gone, is it OK to raid the freezer for Moosetracks? I mean, if I didn't live several hours away that is...

5:35 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

are you back yet buddy? did you have fun?

Hope so.

welcome home to the 130th

8:59 AM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Hey Girl!! Just a quick note since I'm banished to a life (or at least a few weeks) of only having access from a small cyber cafe.

Anyway, I'm here and so far so good, but I'm writing some of the better stuff for a post in the near future.

I'm also jealous! I wish I had been able to go to the Derby! I hope you had fun and let me know if any bar tops were graced... :)

Talk to you soon

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home