Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What to Blog Wednesday

Cheers to Shayna for throwing an awesome virtual party. Guess I got a little wild... must have been all of the Tekillya.

Sounds like Pia has something brewing for Thursday, so be sure to check it out.

AND on Friday we all have another party to attend over at Sar's...

DawgyDoug dropped me a not so subtle hint about maybe being one of his Special Wednesday Guests. I'll let you know if/when this might occur...could be very interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somehow, I felt like jogging (driving) my horse around this morning. I bet he feels like he survived Custer's Last Stand - he is the lone survivor, much like Captain Keogh's horse Comanche.

I haven't done much with him since the accident, except feed and brush him. But I got this overwhelming desire to hook him up to my jog cart and go cruise the driving path in the timber, as my dad and one of his brothers finally cleared the downed trees from the first tornadoes.

Tears streaked my face when I had to adjust the harness down to fit him, as the last horse I used it on is now buried underneath the old oak tree next to his other fallen comrade. Pride was so happy to be messed with, he would have harnessed himself up. I couldn't get his bridle on fast enough.

There is something so peaceful about the country first thing in the morning. The grass was so green, blanketed in dew. When the sun hit it just right, it looked like little mini-rainbows scattered along the hill side. Amazing.

During the drive, I felt at peace. My brain was silent without thought, which is a rare transaction lately. The only audible things were the birds singing, Pride's rhythmic hoofbeats, and the occasional groan of the jog cart. It was just me, my horse, and Mother Nature. My favorite combination.

Pride usually picks up the pace after we start heading back towards the farm, but this time he didn't. He must have been enjoying the outing as much as I was. After arriving at the barn, I unhooked him, and he followed me back into the barn, unled, to be unharnessed. I pulled his bridle off, and he rested his forehead on my chest. I dropped the bridle, and hugged him around his neck, while he nuzzled my back. Horses need hugs too.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rude1 said...

I'm glad you did that; for both of you. I'm always amazed at the ability of our animals to sense our thoughts and feelings. They have an ability to give us just what we need when we need it most.

I hate to say it, but I knew who comanche was, but not his rider... Now ask me about AF history, Im better there!

I envy you and your ride; cnat wait to do that. Cheers!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous pia said...

Don't know much about horses but love learning from you, as I love your tornado and nature stories

There is something both calming and exciting about your manner that I love

And yes I think that I will have a surprise tomorrow!!!!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Rude1 - I needed to do that. My now one horse and my dogs understand me much better than most of the humans around here in Cornland.

I am a sponge for horse trivia. I know all sorts of things about horses from Trigger to Champion to even Napoleon's horses.

Comanche was wounded, but managed to be the lone survivor. He was half Morgan and half Mustang.

Comanche is the only horse to ever be ordered to be not ridden again by the Calvary. He became a regimental mascot and living legend, being displayed during parades and other functions. After his death in 1891, he was stuffed and put on display at the natural history museum at the University of Kansas.

Pia - that means alot coming from you. Calming and exciting... I can see that. I am kinda weird like that.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

You gotta love that the military has so much respect for it's warriors, that even a horse is treated with such reverence. (NOT surprising to horse people)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Rude1 - certainly not surprising, especially to horse people. I know that you and I are on the same page there.

Horses are so important to the military to this day, but I don't have to tell you that.

If there were still a calvary (non-metal lol), I would have been in it.

I'll take you for a ride sometime. I love sharing the horses, and they love the extra attention.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

I'll hold you to that. There's few things in life better than a nice ride. Hard to describe, but you sure never forget it.

BTW, I think we have some of your weather out here; it's a feckin blizzard out right now! I was going to mow the grass this weekend...

9:22 AM  
Blogger The ZenFo Pro said...

Getting over the loss of a horse is just about as hard as getting over the loss of people.

There is definitely something really peaceful about country mornings. Had one of those myself this week

Keep your chin up :)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Jason - It is hard to explain without seeming like I do not have compassion for human life.

I think that losing my two horses had more of an affect on me than any person passing, and I have seen more than my fair share of people die... Probably because it was such a gruesome and horrible accident. I wish I could plug my brain in and play it on TV so that it could be understood. Words do it no justice.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home