Monday, April 03, 2006

Tornadoes...AGAIN!


First, tornadoes when it is technically Winter, then a blizzard when it is Spring, and now more tornadoes. Geesh! Throw in my friend getting raped and the accident... all within three weeks.

This is a rainbow that showed up after the storms hit last night. Perhaps it was a sign that I need to keep looking on the bright side of things. Like I am alive and have a roof over my head. Or perhaps it is merely water droplets diverting the sunlight's spectrum of colors.

Last night I was not home when the storm went through, and neither were my parents. There were some shingles blown off both roofs, and some tree limbs down. Plus no power. This set of storms was not nearly as bad as the one three weeks ago, but it hit in a more widespread area. And there were more casualties than the last storm.

Being the karaoke addict that I am, I was out at the Irish singing with my friends, which by now basically includes the whole bar. The Irish is in a pretty small town close to my hometown. As per bar code for watering holes in Tornado Alley, anytime there is severe weather headed our direction, it is a must to leave one of the TVs on a local weather station. I kept eyeballing the TV, and the storms cells that were brewing looked wicked.

Being the freak that I am, as soon as I heard the sirens screaming a little past 6PM, I ran outside sans flipflops to see if I could spot funnel clouds or a tornado. Much to my delight, there were two funnel clouds, and MASSIVE rotation about half the size of the town I was in (population 500, give or take a few). I watched the two funnel clouds suck back up into the clouds, on their way to hit hard a little North of where I was at. As soon as I felt the temperature change and the drop in barometric pressure when the rotation started passing over us, I turned around and booked it back into the bar, leaving everyone else wondering why I was running.

Then the non-weather wise gawkers piled back into the bar, soaked from the onslaught of rain that I knew was coming next. Oh, the joys of knowing a little meteorology.

The sirens went off twice more after that, and we even got some nice sized hail. Fun times in Tornado Alley.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Need to smile and go "Awww..." head over to Shayna's.

Speaking of Shayna, remember to grab your party hats and put on your dancin' shoes, because we have a birthday to celebrate Tuesday!!

13 Comments:

Anonymous shayna said...

I thought about you again... DANG THEM TORNADOES...

Yep.. bring those party shoes... :) See you tomorrow...

Would write more but I am at work... :(

12:09 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

I was thinking about you when I saw them tore nay does on the WX channel. Glad you only lost a few shingles! I hope you behaved yourself at the bar!!!! ;)

2:22 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Shayna - being at work sucks (unless you don't have a job, then not having a job sucks).

Party time!

NotsoRude1 - Behave? Me? ;)

The Weather Channel got lucky and had a reporter in Springfield checking up on the damage from the tornadoes on March 12, when Springfield was hit AGAIN by tornadoes.

All of the damage from the last storm is cleaned up; new windows in, the destroyed machine shed cleaned up, etc etc. We still need to clean up the trees that are down in the timber...

2:41 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Now now, you've gone and changed my nic. You're gonna ruin my rep I've worked oh so hard to cultivate... :)

I know I know; you're an ANGEL! lol

2:54 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I could always call you the AF guy formerly know as Rude1 if it makes you feel better.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

You read that really fast and you see rape and horses in the same sentence. Seriously. Beware of nasty Google searches.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

:)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

LOL, you call me what ever you want! :)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Janet - thanks for the warning. I changed that.

Rude1 - Anything? ;) lol

4:10 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Now don't go making me blush again...

4:13 PM  
Anonymous pia said...

I'm totally obsessed with weather
Love the picture and the bar report. Love it when people describe their surroundings

5:58 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Come to my party
It's my Birthday... wouldn't be a Birthday without you!  Help celebrate my
last year as a 20-something!!!!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

We were under a tornado watch last night, but it was mild. Tons of rain, some hail, behind us the sky turned black and in front it had a yellowish hue. It was pretty cool considering it was mild. I did think of you though.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home