Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Sound of Sirens

Declaration: The word for the year is going to be TORNADO. Seriously.

I am wide awake after another thrilling storm. Tornadoes that threaten during the night really piss me off, because they are nearly impossible to see. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of a tornado late at night when lightning strikes. The clouds were extremely low due to the cold temperatures, so the lightning was intense. Still watching it out the window. Intoxicated.

The lightning started early before any precipitation, which is a good indicator that things could get interesting.

The sounds of the hail hitting my windows indicated the size. At first, I was thinking that the marble sized hail was big. Then the golf balls came. They hit so hard they were bouncing pretty high off the deck.

Often large hail is the sign that you are North of the path of a tornado. Which I was. But generally speaking, hail doesn't mean a tornado. Or vice versa.

Hail is formed in cumulonimbus clouds, aka thunderheads. It usually occurs in the summer, because the warm updrafts hold the rain up in the clouds where it freezes and grows, until the updraft isn't strong enough to carry the hail. Then it starts spitting out anything from tiny specks to the largest hail ever recorded, which was almost 2 pounds! Poor Coffeyville, Kansas back in 1970. Imagine ice balls that big being hurled down at speeds of up to 120mph!

Last I knew, Illinois farmers were the leading consumers of crop insurance for hail damage. Like you needed to know that.

Looks like the rest of the night is going to be uneventful, so off to bed I go. Thanks for tuning in to Cowgirl's Weather Update.

10 Comments:

Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Oh my! I hope it blows over without causing much harm! Sleep tight and see you in the morning! (Or my evening I should say!)

3:34 AM  
Blogger brian said...

I grew up in Wisconsin and never saw a tornado. But I dream about them all the time. One dream I had I was driving and was inside of a moving ring of tornados. I'm glad you liked the poems.
Be safe Brian

4:29 AM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Man, I don't know how you put up with it! Glad everything's okay. Talk to you soon.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous cooper said...

Shayna and now you.
I would hate spring in the midwest. Tornado is the one weather word that actually scares me.

Be safe.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Shelleigh (Pixie) said...

Good gravy, L&L: when does it END????? Be safe sweet girl.

11:15 AM  
Blogger The ZenFo Pro said...

Lord, we had some nasty ones when I lived in Eastern Colorado. Hope all is well and there's no damage.

Hated those suckers.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

You missed your calling! Ever consider a new career as a weather reporter?
:-)

be safe missy!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Weather can be interesting on horseback.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Miz B - I went to sleep. THEN I had to wake up again because the freakin' sirens were going off AGAIN.

Brian - Like the poems alot. Tornadoes seem to like this area, as we have seen several of them since this post, so I bet your odds of seeing one would be extremely high in this area.

Rude1 - I am starting to build some resentment against bad weather. But I guess I should be happy that with all of the rain the pastures look beautiful!

Coop - Thanks. I am intrigued by the weather, or I would be going crazy!

Shell - I have been asking when it is going to end. But so far it looks like it's going to be rough for awhile.

Jason - Hate is such a strong word, but I am started to build some resentment!

Kyahgirl - Ya know, it has occured to me that perhaps you are right. Cowgirl, the weather girl. Hmm....

Doug - I hear you on that one!

7:08 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

cowgirl! I hear ya, I am tired of this spring weather already....I do not like the storm shelter/cellar. Be safe, keep an ever watchful eye on the sky when you know the weather's going to take a turn for the nasty. Glad you safe, stay that way : )

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home