Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Love Storms, But I Think Enough Is Enough

Tornadoes ripped through Eastern Tennessee yesterday, wrecking havoc and leaving massive devastation across the Volunteer State, focusing around Music City. Check out the Tennessean (Nashville) and the Gallatin News Examiner for awesome photos and actual accounts of what happened.

Keep Shayna's family and friends in your thoughts and prayers, as last I knew she still hasn't heard from one of her friends in Gallatin. She has some awesome pics and a video link here.

My grandparents (my mom's dad and her stepmother) who are in their late 70's live in the country around Gallatin, and fortunately only suffered some minor damage. They gave us a scare because we couldn't get ahold of them for awhile, but somehow they managed to get a cellphone signal and were able to let us know they, along with their little fluffy ankle biter Peaches, were safe. They moved down there at the end of last year, to be with her family (she is from Tennessee like my dad's parents) and because the weather was nicer. Huh?

Both of them have been dealing with tornadoes all of their lives, but Gramps couldn't find the words to describe the devastation around them in Sumner County. Not surprising, as he is a man of few words on an everyday basis. All he could muster was "Sis, I'm just glad we are alive." Not as many people in the area around them were as fortunate as my grandparents to make it through without injury or loss of property. One unfortunate couple was found by rescuers, holding one another. So sad.

So far, in Sumner County alone, nine people were killed in a storm that even I, a simple college educated cowgirl, KNEW was going to be volatile. Did the sirens not work?

When I was predicting tornadoes last night, I certainly didn't expect to be right, even if it was a little further South... A little freaky, don't you think? Especially since they hit my grandparent's town? When I said It Feels Like Tornadoes, I had no idea that I actually was predicting some powerful weather.

Absolutely freakin' out.

Perhaps I should become a storm chaser after all. I have posted about tornadoes here, here, here, and here. With intermingling weather madness through the last month of posting. Wow.

The TN ARNG is being called up to help patrol the streets, I heard through the grape vine. I am really tempted to go volunteer down there, as my medic skills could be advantageous. Granny was saying that a hospital was hit, and one of the ladies who died was a nurse...

4 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

GO!!! Use your skillz.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

My friends and familly are all accounted for... Thanks! ;)

My friend only suffered minor damage...

Yes, one of the hospitals was hit.

Thanks for keeping me and my family/friends in your thoughts! :)

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Denise said...

I'm stunned at the weather around here lately. I'm in East TN.... a little south of Knoxville and it was pretty hairy here a few nights ago.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Jake - I SO wish I could go.

Shayna - You will be forever in my thoughts and prayers.

Denise - glad to hear that you are ok too. My other set of grandparents that passed away a few years ago lived near Sevierville. And I almost went to school in Knoxville (almost wish I had).

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home