Saturday, April 29, 2006

Hope

Who I am
Does it matter anyway
Who I am
And what I've seen along the way
Who I am
It changes a little everyday
But with the light of truth and an open heart
I just want half a chance
As long as I'm here and before I go
I'm gonna find out who I am


The apple of my eye. Looking into his soulful eyes, I see him as he sees me.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.


SUPPLY AND DEMAND...a little thing I learned before Jr. High....

Ok, I am going to have to step up on my politically unbiased soap box and just get this out of my head. Rumblings of how expensive gas is getting has blanketed the world in a thunderstorm. And sooner or later lightning is going to strike.

There are people here in my hometown picketing two gas stations owned by large oil companies, Shell and Exxon Mobil. Holding signs, they have been featured on the local television stations, with the intent to persuade/force the stations to lower their prices, or attempt to drive prices down by boycotting the bigger corporation's stations. These people are hoping local consumers will buy their gasoline at the smaller stations in town, like Casey's (Doug knows these are everywhere in the Midwest).

I chuckled when I saw that all of the participants had driven their own vehicles to where they were protesting (benefit of being in a small town...you know what everyone drives). Way to set an example. Bet they also have old, dirty fuel filters too...

I just don't think people get it. Local station managers have no control over prices. Politicians have little effect on prices; even if my state is planning on waiving the gas tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day. This might alleviate a little bit of stress in the finances, but honestly, what is really going to drop those prices is if we, as a nation, are conservative and try to start using other sources of fuel. Because there very well may be a day when crude oil becomes harder and harder to find. It is a natural resource that is not renewable.

Yes, my pocket book cries every time I fill my big diesel truck up, but I bet not as much as yours. I have became more efficient in when/where/why I drive, and try to carpool as much as possible instead of everyone taking their own vehicle everywhere. And I use biodiesel, which gets me about 40 miles a gallon. Not to mention it is a renewable resource, is more environmentally sound, and is in ample supply here in the Corn Desert. Go here to see more about the benefits of biodiesel.

Or what about ethanol? When I was a state officer for FFA, we drove a car that ran on ethanol E85, which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Again, this is more environmentally friendly. And it supports our nation's economy by using what oil is produced here in the US/North America and our farmland's renewable supply of corn. Barngoddess' family and others like hers would still be able to make a wonderful living from the oil fields here in the good ole USA.

My state also has oil fields...my area has rocking oil pump jacks speckling the country side. There are a few of them along side the road on the opposite end of the farm from our two houses, on the other side of the timber, past the fields. Rock, rockin' away.

Petroleum is not just used to make fuel. It is also used to make other chemical products like plastics, fertilizers, and pesticides. So even if we lowered the use of petroleum in fuel by using biodiesel or ethanol, there would still be an outlet that needs the petroleum we have in the U.S. Although, I don't support the use of petroleum based pesticides and fertilizers, but that is a whole nother post.

The price of oil is high everywhere, not just in the U.S. The world is consuming it beyond supply. Supply and demand. Simple.

Stop and think about our current situation with Iran and it's development of nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, Iran controls where nearly half of the world's supply of oil goes through. The Persian Gulf. So if the U.S./UN does act, you can beat your sweet ass Iran is going to play hard ball. Then gas prices are going to sky rocket.

But what do I know?

ADDENDUM: Sgt Grey Eagle's husband is going to be featured tomorrow, Sunday, April 30th, on CNN at 6:30 PM (EST)/5:30 PM(CST). It is a live interview about the website and life as a female soldier's husband. This is a must see.

13 Comments:

Anonymous pia said...

You know a lot more than you think--especially for somebody who just turned 25--couldn't resist that

Think knowing who you really are takes until very late old age--but what's important is the search

10:08 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

There is an op-ed in the Washington Post today that I think you would agree with. And I do as well:

Supply and Demand

I do think politicians can do something about high prices, however. Especially considering Bush's family and Cheney's make millions of dollars every year from inflated gas prices.

If demand is so high and supply so low, it doesn't necessarily answer as to why Exxon made $9 billion of profits in the first quarter of this year. Nor does it answer as to why a barrel of crude oil has risen 14% from last year but a gallon of gas 140% from last year. Sounds like price inflation to me.

But you are very correct that none of this has anything to do with the gas stations. They have no control over their prices and no matter what the price of gas is, they at best make around 7 cents per gallon.

You drive a diesel?? Oh now that is awesome! Ford or Chevy?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

My dearest pia, why am I not surprised that you couldn't resist that? ;)

I'll take those words to heart.

Chris, politicians can do something, but not on a large enough scale that it would really drop prices significantly and long term. Especially considering so much of the oil is imported...

I'm not saying that price gouging or inflation is not happening, but I think that there is a bigger root to the evil than blaming the W. and the VP. I do think that the oil companies are using the rising price of oil per barrel as a way of excusing themselves for skyrocketing the prices of oil that is already on hand. That I think is wrong and deserves punishment.

I drive a Chevy. ;) Which just rolled out another E85 vehicle, not too long ago.

11:27 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

nice pic, beautiful in fact.

people picketing gas stations = people with no sense and too much time on thier hands! craziness....

Ive parked my truck for now unless its needed to pull the trailer, and I am driving my car ( Im not tooupset because I LOVE my car)

5:42 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

It's funny, right? Tell the truth: They go to Casey's for pizza and call it a protest.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Barngoddess, thanks! I know how you feel about this as you have posted about it before. ;)

Doug, doesn't everyone like Casey's pizza?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

One of our cars is a diesel and I would love to know how to make it biodiesel... unfortunately, I don't think I can get it in my corner of Spain... if in Spain at all! This sucks!

Loved the info my dear...

... as for finding yourself... I think we all know deep inside who we are but it is time which allows us to gain more confidence to come out of hiding and for our voice to gain volume and say, "World, here I am! Love me as I am or f*ck off!"

Hmmm.... or maybe I don't know! ;-P

10:11 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Oh, Miz B, I think you know!

Honestly, I am not sure biodiesel is available in Spain...should look this up for sure.

This cowgirl looooooovves Miz B!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Okay, real quick then back to packing.moving all my crap.

Big oil (all the major companies)are making approximately 7 - 9% profit on their product (approx 15 cents per gallon). That is actually lower than a LOT of companies.

State and Fed. Govt. are making well over 60 cents per gallon. So who is gouging the taxpayer?

Also, any one realize that the House of Reps has increased their pay over 230% in the last ten years? Oh, and these are the folks pandering to the voters by yelling what an outrage it is that oil companies are making money.

I'm with cowgirl, it hurts filling my big diesel truck (about 85 bucks a pop) but that's what the market is. The local station only makes about 3 cents per gallon, the company makes about 15, and the Govt makes about 60. Who should you really be pi$$ed at?

Just my 3 cents. Hope to be back soon yall!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Cowgirl. Casey's Pizza, Steak n' Shake and pennicillin. In that order.

What were we talking about again?

3:55 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Rude1, you're alive!!!!I missed you!

Did someone mention Steak n' Shake? Doug, I think that I only eat that after a night out, as that sometimes is the only thing open in these parts....

I have plenty of penicillin in the barn fridge on hand if necessary.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

All I know in NJ is they are talking about two things:

1. Lowering the speed limit
2. Having us pump our own gas

I can deal with the first, the second, I'm not so sure...:(

12:42 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Janet, I think I would be in trouble if they lowered the speed limit...and as far as pumping my own gas, I already do that. So guess you can drive, and I'll pump the gas! ;)

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home