Friday, April 28, 2006

The Good, The Bad, And The Fugly.

There are days when I just wonder why I blog.

Seriously.



I'm not trying to be a writer or poet or rock star. Well, perhaps the last one. Been pondering that a lot lately.

But I re-read my posts, and my little patriotic cowgirl piece of the blogosphere is basically my online journal, with occasional witty remarks tossed in for good measure. Every once in a while I rant or say something constructive. Somehow I manage to steer clear of really talking about politics, or anything else that is not considered good to discuss at the supper table if you want to actually eat your food at the temperature it was initially intended to be consumed at.

And I don't get into my military life much. And I probably won't...can't.

Originally, I thought I was going to be drilling this weekend; but it looks like I am going to stay home and go to a funeral instead for a girl, er, young woman, that was a little younger than me that died in a accident just the other day. She was 22, getting ready to graduate from college in a matter of weeks. I would much rather be drilling than wearing black again.

On a much brighter note, I am going to be in Kentucky next weekend, getting ready to watch one of my highlights of the year, the Run For the Roses, the Kentucky Derby. First leg of the Triple Crown. THE place to get a mint julep. I've been to the derby before and to Churchill Downs several times, but I am ecstatic about going, because this was a surprise gift for my birthday. And I get to take one person of my choosing, because I have a spare ticket and my own room that has wireless internet! I am thinking Bree or Travis...and my gut tells me I will have more fun with Bree.

And I think my hall of fame jockey friend would have more fun taking two hot ladies to the parties instead of me and my whatever I call him. Because I don't know what to call him.

Somehow I don't think this equates to a vacation. But in my twisted world, I will enjoy it just as much.

THE COWGIRL'S CURRENT CONTENDERS

This year's race is going to be a good one. I personally like Sweetnorthernsaint, who won the Illinois Derby impressively. And this horse has some speed unlike many others his age at this distance. I think if the track is fast and he makes a good break, he will be right there. But he can't waste his speed early (note to jockey)!!! Kent Desormeaux is more than capable. But bet your ass I am going to be talking him through the race, lol.

I also like Lawyer Ron, a Northern Dancer bred horse that won the Arkansas Derby. I think he is going to be hitting his peak for the derby. He is a solid horse, and I like the looks of him. His jock might be only 24, but then perhaps he will ride this horse instead of his ego. (And yes, that was a dig, lol).

My two horses that can sneak in and steal the show are going to be Steppenwolfer and Showing Up. Steppenwolfer just has it to be a derby horse; his running style is impressive. He is bred to be a winner, and I think he has it to pass up the horses not used to running the extra distance of the Kentucky Derby. Again, a wise trainer and jock could get this horse to a win at the wire.

Showing Up, on the other hand, has that important strong kick down the back stretch. Depending on the track conditions and how he breaks, this guy could do more than show up. His jockey placed second last year in the derby, but has never won one. My gut tells me this horse could steal the show depending on how the conditions are.

Everyone pretty much has Brother Derek, winner of Santa Anita, as one of, if not the favorite at the date of this post. But the favorite hardly ever wins... besides this horse is still in California. And he has only had one race in his three year old year that I know of. But he is going to possibly be in the mix. Coming down to the wire, he just might cause trouble.

Shayna is even cute when she rambles. Check out Shayna's interview at Chris' Political Notio!

Miz B...more revealed, in a tag/meme/whatever the hell they are called. ;) They are great for rainy days. Figuratively and literally.

7 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I'm sorry about your wearing black again. You have my deepest sympathy.
I understand the blogging bit, it hasn't been anything like I thought it would be.
I watch the Kentucky Derby ever year on t.v. for the history and drama.
Have a "jazzy" weekend, I don't have e-mail at work I'll check after dinner.
Brian

2:10 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess said...

Steppenwolfer-I like this horse. I am green with envy, you are so lucky!I hope you have a total blast. Sorry about the young girl who passed away. I hate funerals, when I leave this earth, I want everyone to have a big huge kegger and party til the sun comes up.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Me? CUTE? LMAO!!!

I know you will have a blast next weekend in KY...

:)~ Hope you have a great weekend!!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I can honestly say that the blogosphere would not be the same without you! Use it as the outlet that it is and let loose... not that you ain't doing a great job of that already!

Bohemians just loooveee them this Cowgirl!

Have a great weekend my dear!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

OH MY!! I'm a huge horse racing fan!

I love the Derby. I went about three years ago and had the funnest time ever. I usually don't bet on the races. I just like to watch the ponies run.

I'm liking Lawyer Ron. Usually the Arkansas Derby is a good judge of the Kentucky Derby.

I'm sure next Friday night I'll be so excited for the race that I won't get much sleep. I'm thinking about going to Carbondale to watch it at the off-track betting place there. But I'll probably just sit at home.

I like it when you get a little bit political. I also understand that it can drive an audience away as well. Just do whatever floats your boat. Oh, and thanks for the link.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Brian - Thanks. I'll try to have a "jazzy" weekend, but probably not that "jazzy" if you catch my drift. ;)

Barngoddess - Steppenwolfer is one of my picks, just depends on where he starts, how he breaks, and the track conditions. And everything else.

A kegger? My kinda gal.

Shayna, yes you are cute no matter what, chica! ;)

Miz B, thanks for the kindness. And I am trying to make the most out of the weekend, but it's rainy.

Chris, I am a horse racing nut! Lawyer Ron and Sweetnorthernsaint are going to be close. I just hope the track is fast, or I might have to rethink my gameplan. You know what they say, bet on the grey on a rainy day...and there is a nice grey in the field. ;)

Sometimes I think you get to see more from home. What I am excited about is that I get to go everywhere with my retired jockey hero. So I'll get to see alot of these horses up close and personal.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

why do you 'wonder why I blog' cowgirl? isn't it enough to just do it? does there have to be a plan, or a purpose beyond the joy of connecting with people?

I love your presence in the blogosphere. Whatever you care to bring to it or share with us is good. Its all good. Now stop fretting.

I too am sorry about the loss of another friend. That it tough.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home