Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Beginning of the End

First of all, I want to congratulation the wonderful Pia on being featured in a newspaper article about her blog that has such a diverse and widespread following. Click here to read the article. Can't wait to read her book!

Received terrible news today. Should have known; it has been such a dreary day. My childhood best friend's mother passed away yesterday. She and her husband pretty much helped raise me, as my parents did their children and the rest of the country kids in the area. The glory of growing up where I did in the country; it literally did take a village to raise us.

From before kindergarten to about eighth grade, Dani and I had been thick as thieves. We grew up only a country block away from each other, and spent the majority of our time together, often with a few other kids, and sometimes a small herd. We were a tight knit group, until the inevitable changes that happen when one starts to become a teenager. Dani and I were still close, but it wasn't the same.

A little older, and much wiser, I understand that everything changes...nothing stays the same.

The majority of high school, we remained friends, but not best friends. That was Nicole's newly appointed position. I tended to skirt the "good girl" issue more than Dani desired to do; Nicole and I had partying and showing horses in common. The two of us together screamed trouble, but somehow we never got caught. Sometimes I think this pissed off Dani, but she never really showed it.

Nicole and I remain close friends to this day, despite the fact that we have lived at least 400 miles away from each other since a year after our Sr. year of high school. Oddly enough, she will be here tomorrow to spend a little over a week visiting. Guess she also has a funeral to go to this weekend.

Not quite the reunion we had pictured.

7 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Isn't it weird how your oldest friends might not be the people you have the most in common with in the long run, but there's still something that keeps the friendship intact?

3:57 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

I have had a few friends like that... close but not as close as we thought we would remain.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend... :(

6:06 PM  
Blogger Jodes said...

I have been to Pia's blog, she rocks!!! I have Miz B. to thank for that. Thanks for the kind words over on Dougs site!!!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Aww dammit. I'm sorry to hear about your friends mom; I know how hard that can be. Being from a small town I know just what you mean; the parents of our friends had full parental authority over us, and we're better people for it.

As always, I'll say a prayer for you and your friend's family. Remember those early years and smile at how she helped you and your friends grow to the people you've become.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous pia said...

Thanks for the overly kind words

I am so sorry for your friend's loss. Truly believe that aside from losing a child,losing a mother is the hardest thing most women go through as the mother/daughter bond is amazing

So is the friend for life one

7:38 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your friend's mom.

I can relate to the friendship thing too.

When I moved back to Spain a friend I had since we were 4, who always professed love and sisterhood and that she'd always be there showed me in more ways than 1 that this was not the case. The surprising thing to me, more than that, was that I didn't really care... Time, distance, life can simply get in the way... but my cousin, whom I have lived away from for most of my life and probably only seen for one or two weeks a year could not be any closer...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Janet - Perhaps it is because we hang on to life when it was much simpler.

Shayna - thanks my dear. I am really starting to learn who my friends are.

Jodes - hey! Welcome. Oh, I love Pia, and Miz B is my favorite Boho mama!

Rude 1 - Thanks. It is something I sure that will drum up a lot of old memories; some good, some bad.

Pia - I don't think they are overly kind.

My bond with both of my parents is a little odd. I am not really close to them like I see other people... but I am sure losing them would affect me.

Miz B - Sometimes friends are not "real" friends...they are acquaintances that are friendly. The difference has smacked me in the face a few times.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home