Friday, March 10, 2006

TGIF


Drunker Than Me by Trent Tomlinson
I have one particular friend that I think of when I hear this song. Her poor boyfriend, this is his current theme song. Sometimes I think he forgets that he created the monster in the first place. "Drunker Than Me" by Trent Tomlinson cracks me up, and proves that I must be a hick. Country is his rock - he is from Kennett, MO., which is also the hometown of Sheryl Crow.

Ever since Shayna's post , I have been thinking about how diversely intertwined this nation is. Right after 9/11 was the very first time that I can remember in my almost 25 years that this country's inhabitants were so supportive and understanding of everyone. 9/11 was a HUGE wake-up call; it made us all vulnerable together.

The last few days I have been hearing rumblings of stereotypes; whether one is listening or speaking, these stereotypes hurt what is actually at the core of the issue. People jump to conclusions, and become defensive instead of really hearing what is being said. Whether people realize it or not, we are all in this together. The harder that we all struggle with being defined in some category, the further away we are going to be from actually being in a country that is "United."

Traveling all over the country showing horses really taught me a lot more about people than anything. Being a part of the rodeo world AND the show horse world was an adventure because they are polar opposites from each other - if you know anything about horses, then I am sure you know what I am talking about (if not, I can explain as needed).

I am young, and I am sure there are many out there that far surpass me in experiences and knowledge. The one thing that I learned is that pre-conceived notions are just that.

I make sense to myself, but feel free to jump in. Sometimes it is easier to just assume than to put effort into really knowing. Certainly I fall into this trap, but it is something that I make a conscious effort NOT to do because I have been stereotyped my whole life. I am positive everyone has.

**********************************************************************************
It was a gorgeous day today. So when I got home, I went for a cruise on our farm's Grizzly. I got absolutely covered in mud, but it was worth it. My dad was happy because he was able to take his motorcyle for a spin, so it was a good day after a bad day at work at the homestead.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rude1 said...

Well said, and it makes sense to me. As long as we LISTEN, we learn. You know where I satnd ;)

9:03 PM  
Anonymous pia said...

We are all in this together. Until I met the people I am most friendly with on the Internet, felt very lonely despite the surpise success of my blog, because, I'm not an idealogue, and would be attacked for everything from my lack of morals to trying to point out why a certain country,not this deseves to exist

Great great post

8:27 AM  
Blogger EsotericWombat said...

You present a position that no reasonable person can argue against.

Though I have to say, I felt something different on 9/11. Oh there was a sense of brotherhood and I embraced it, but whenever I heard the phrase "united we stand" I feared that the unspoken message was, "you need to agree with us or else you're not one of us." Which is unity's often hard to distinguish evil twin. I felt vulerable on all sides.

In either case the problem is that we as a nation may be speaking, but we're not communicating.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

EW - I agree that we are not communicating... I think that is sort of what my post hinted at too, as all we really do sometimes is talk "at" each other. All of the talking "at" each other is filtered through our stereotypes and pre-concieved notions before it ever gets heard. That is, if those filters allow the information to even be heard.

Unspoken messages are everywhere, not just politics.

I personally think that every single person's experience with 9/11 is different. It would be impossible to try to isolate that into one postion.

I personally was on my way to Chicago to pick up some horses. Just me and my dog, hauling a six horse trailer while this nation was under attack.

I saw gas prices over $5.00, and listened to the radio all the way there as everything unfolded - all the time worried about what happens if they hit Chicago?

When I hear "United We Stand" I understand it to mean that we are united against terrorism, as this is really what this phrase means post 9/11. However, many have used this now as some kind of slogan. So I can assume that is how you feel like it might mean "you need to agree with us or else you're not one of us."

Again, I will have to say perception is the key here. But I will keep my philosophizing at bay... for now.

People take freedom for granted in the US. Or I should say, most people. So many think that it is untouchable, but it is not. Unless you have seen the horrors of humanity, it can be inconcievable as to what not having freedom actually is.

Nothing is as precious as it is when it is taken away.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Shelleigh (aka Pie Shell) said...

You may rest assured I know where you're coming from. I am the epitome - TEXT BOOK CASE - of incongruity... thank God.

I'm Miss Pollyana, and I don't give a damned. Nothing is going to shake my faith or rock the ground I solidly stand. N*O*T*H*I*N*G... and I think people as a whole, are good.

If the ring I follow on the web, to all corners of this earth is any indication, it is a fact that they are.

Diversity is good; in fact it is necessary.

Love to you ~*L&L*~ !!!!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous angie said...

Hey...I'm from Kennett, MO...born and raised and still here. :oP

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home