Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Surprise!

I was just talking about chickens over at Miz B's after her episode with quail eggs. I, to this day, have never bought eggs at a store. I prefer my eggs to come from happy, free roaming chickens. Growing up, I was always running outside to find eggs for my mom when she needed one more than she had in the fridge for a recipe.

By now, most of you know I grew up on a farm. We had "the layers" - Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds. All of these breeds have brown eggs, as most of the people that would come buy eggs always wanted brown eggs. Two of these girls were "double yolk" layers, and had HUGE eggs. All of those hen's daughters were "double yolk" layers, too.

Mom also always had Araucanas and bantams, which lay eggs in a rainbow of colors. It was like Easter every day. The eggs might be any shade of pink, purple, green, blue, you name it. Some were even turquoise. We sold a lot of those eggs, mainly around Easter, because they are so much more fun to color.

We also had the bantam "models" - Seabrites, Andalusians, and Cochins, along with several others breeds that looked cool. My favorites have always been the bantam cochins. They have feathers on their feet, and are very cool little birds, considering they are just chickens.

I now live on the other side of the farm from the house I grew up in, in my grandparent's old farm house. Here at my house, I have five bantam chickens. The four hens are Princess, Betsy, Blackie, and Maude. Their handsome rooster is Slick Rick. Yes, I know the names are something else. But they are full of personality, and the names suite them.

I had not been able to find Maude the last few days... but today there she was this morning, setting on the ground next to the shed that is not too far from my house. I thought to myself, That looks weird. So I walked up to her to pick her up to see if she was hurt, and to my surprise, Maude had ten little bitty chicks she was keeping warm!


Aren't they cute! They are so many different colors. One is going to be buff like Maude. There is one black chick, one white chick, two chocolate chicks, one that is going to be reddish, and the other four are going to be partridge colored. Partridge is multi-colored, with their red feathers being penciled in black.

There is still snow on the ground from the blizzard that went through the week after the tornadoes. But these chicks make it seem more like Spring now.

******************************************************************************

I have been doing better. Finally ate something last night. I worked from home today, but I didn't get much stuff done except for my deadlines. But I don't care. I forgot about everything for a little bit while I messed around with the chicks. I want to call my nieces over to play while they are on Spring break, but how do I tell a just turned 6 year old and 8 year old what happened? Especially when the 6 year old is just like her Aunt. She reads people and horses just like I read people and horses. She has my gift.

15 Comments:

Blogger Rude1 said...

Love the chicks! Now that sounds like a cheesy 1970s gold chain wearin "baccardi and cola guy" sort of attitude! ((winks while clicking his cheek and pointing at ya))

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're functioning. I'm still praying.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Ooooh! Congrats to Maude! She is a mummy! I love this post and the pics and the names and the stories and they are so pretty!

Glad to hear you are somewhat better! Hope all shall be well for you soon!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Rude1 - *smiles* You are too funny. That jingle is going through my head - "Bacardi and Cola - we get the job done."

Yep, functioning.

I can't help but feel guilty that this has hit me and my family so hard.

STILL dealing with insurance and people calling. Then I cry more. Geesh.

Miz B - Maude is always a wonderful mummy. I will post more pics as they grow. Maybe pick one day a week as "Chick Update Day" or something. AND they are going to need names after I can tell what sex they are.

I'm trying. I keep telling myself that it could be worse, which I know. But this still has been worse than anything else I have ever been through.

Again, I feel guilty. But I don't care. Is that bad? Am I a bad person for that?

3:34 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

No, a normal healthy person for feeling that way. A loss such as that will have all of your emotions in flux for quite a while. Don't analyze it; just get through it the best you can.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Cowgirl, you have the most interesting posts and this was no exception. Those little chicks are adorable!

I wish I could do something to help you feel better. Would a *hug* help?

4:00 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Rude1 - thanks. I needed to hear that.

But I am pretty sure I am FAR from normal. But I like it that way.

Sar - You made my day! Hearing that my posts are interesting from you is amazing.

Hugs are good. I just need to let time heal things and accept that it is ok for me to be feeling the way I do.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Shelleigh (Pixie) said...

OMG - send me some!!!!! I've gotta show this to Gabby...

4:37 PM  
Blogger The ZenFo Pro said...

Hey, glad you're doing better!

I grew up on Rhode Island eggs myself. I don't eat eggs much anymore, mainly because I can't find any decent farm to barter from or at least free range...

Love the pics as well. It's like a cyberfarm

4:47 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I can't imagine never having store bought eggs, but then again you probably have at some point right?

So what do you think came first?:)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Janet - I am sure that I have eaten them at a restaurant, etc. But no, I have never bought any. Sounds weird, but I have always bought eggs at some farm or from a little old lady close to where I lived at the time.

Philosophy - one of my loves!
Which one came first...hmmmm....

4:59 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Shell - on their way.

Zenfo Pro - I am happy you like the cyber farm. This is my life, so I love sharing the pics.

I would send you some good, farm fresh eggs, but it isn't the same as getting them yourself.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

I hate eggs... can't eat eggs... I don't like the slimmy eggs nor the scrambled eggs... nor the boiled ones... ick! ;(

I'm glad you are doing better and have eaten something... was it eggs?

8:23 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Shayna, you are too funny. Nope, wasn't eggs. lol

6:41 AM  
Blogger Major John said...

Cowgirl's Virtual Farm? No, no...The Patriotic Cowgirl Cyber Farm...hmm, might get something from that. The Happy Cyber Chicken Coop? I'll work on it...

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home