Sunday, March 12, 2006

So You Don't Think Cheerleading Is A Sport...



The debate over this has ended (well sort of). My state had it's first state finals, recognizing cheerleading as a competitive sport. It's about freakin' time. Ok, brace yourself - I was a cheerleader. In shock? Good, then I am breaking the stereotype. (And you know I just HATE stereotypes).

Anyway, cheering is hard, especially if your squad does more than yell "Go, Fight, Win!" at games and pep rallies. For my high school, you had to be able to do a round-off flip-flop and handsprings to even try out. Tumbling and stunts are difficult, and performing them as a group is no small feat.

Don't think cheering is dangerous? Just ask Kristi Yamaoka, a SIU cheerleader who broke her neck during a routine a few weeks ago.

4 Comments:

Anonymous pia said...

Stereotypes are horrible. Was reading in People last night about a cheerleader instructor who cracked her head open badly while showing her students her best moves.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Stereotypes are crap... I have had my fun with them since being the mix that I am, people and kids were never able to make me fit into any!

I did hear about that cheerleader! She is the one who kept cheering as they took her away, no?

2:36 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Yes! She fell on her head, breaking her neck. They had her strapped to the gurney, and she raised her hands to show she was ok, so the SIU pep band started playing. Then she started cheering. I was watching the game and couldn't believe it. She is lucky to be alive.
Can you believe she is only 18!

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my! i am a cheerleader too! r u ok! i know exactly how u feel!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home