Thursday, March 16, 2006

Oblivion

Being farm raised is one of the biggest things I love about my personality. It is at the core of who I am. I absolutely loved growing up on a farm. Provided endless opportunities for learning about life and death, and everything in between. Horses, cattle, hogs, goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, guineas, rabbits, you name it, we pretty much raised it at some point or another. The only thing we ever ate were the eggs from the chickens. Everything else was show and breeding stock. Well, the guineas were just plain annoying. This is Heidi, my favorite goat. Whomever took this picture of me forgot about the goat. My smile is HUGE!


Dawgy Doug inspired me to write today. Or actually, one of my favorite quotes did.

"Ignorance is not bliss - it is oblivion" - Philip Wylie


Everyone has heard the saying "Ignorance is bliss," but the full quote from Shakespeare is "When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." To quickly summise, sometimes knowledge is not a good thing if it ends extreme happiness. Perhaps there is a kernel of truth in that. I seriously doubt everyone needs to know everything that happens, as few could deal with the aftermath of its effects. However, this can be a double-edged sword.

Ignorance is lethal when actually used as knowledge. The ability to get the straight truth should be the conviction of everyone. Often only bits and pieces are used for knowledge when it is contradictory to what the entire puzzle of truth is. Honest mistakes are one thing, but to blatantly use false or misconstrued information is horrific, as is basing truth on opinions instead of facts.

Confucius wisely stated that "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." I couldn't agree more. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who thinks that they are right when their facts are not the truth. Ignorance is not bliss in this case; it is stupidity. Stupidity breeds mis-representation and spreads stupidity like a disease.

*************************************************************************************

I nearly choked on my coffee when my mom said this after talking to her sister on the phone, "God, I hate dead people." It was like she said "I hate pickles," nonchalantly. We couldn't help but bust up laughing, as I am sure her brother is laughing at us all dealing with each other. Her brother passed away from his battle with emphysema about two weeks ago, and the family is driving her nuts over the estate. She hates being the oldest sibling, and I am sure my uncle is laughing his ass off with the angels at everyone's stupidity.

*************************************************************************************

Party at Sar's tomorrow. I'm bringing Twizzlers! (I am sure they make green ones)

8 Comments:

Blogger Yawn said...

I'm 100% with you on the circumcision thing- the concept that it's good for parents to take responsibility for their kids rather than leave such decisions to the children themselves. Oh yeah- I had my tongue clipped too.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I honestly have no opinion on it, I just think whatever is in the best medical interest in the child should be done. Thanks for stopping by!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous pia said...

Loved the line about your mom--speak like that myself. Can't help it, it's true. Dead relatives bring much work ;-)

7:34 AM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

So very true! I've been trying to say just that for so long! You nailed it girl. I'm gonna be quoting your thoughts for a long time. Thanks!!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous shayna said...

thought I had commented... I did read you last night... shame on me...

My dad went through a very simular situation with estate crap when my grandparents passed away...

Your writing is getting very good girlie... Not that it wasn't before... ;)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Thanks!

I originally started this blog just to have an outlet. Now it is turning into an occasional rant accompanied by some thought.

I am used to writing ALOT because of all the honors classes I had in highschool and college. It's in there somewhere.

If I wrote what I really think ALL of the time, I would either scare people away or confuse them, lol.

My mom can be SO funny sometimes. We were busting a gut for a long time over that.

10:27 AM  
Blogger april said...

Damn, I couldn't have written about ignorance better myself. Literally. =) (i was better at math and science, hence the reason I work in the medical field)

And your moms comment made me shoot soda out of my nose!!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, very good writing.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home