Monday, March 13, 2006

Night Of The Twisters

One of the culprits

It's tornado season, kiddies! Starting off with a bang, the sky was exciting in Tornado Alley last night. I feel safer in the Midwest dealing with floods and tornadoes versus earthquakes, mudslides, and hurricanes. Must be because I used to sit outside and watch them go by on the front porch with my dad.

Springfield looks like a bomb exploded; there isn't a square inch that hasn't been touched in some way. The entire roof of a Super Wal-Mart blew off. The damage has been estimated at over $10 million this far. A seven county area has been declared a disaster...

The first storm hit my place hard at 8:15PM, and the next one hit at 1:45AM. I haven't heard so much noise in a long time. The wind was fierce and out for blood. It was nearly 80 degrees outside last night, and now it is going to be below freezing soon...

Fun times for this cowgirl. My families farm is ok, just one building is destroyed, and some windows got blown out. Plus lots of other stuff I am not going to bore anyone with. We have power and everyone is alive and in one piece.

I haven't slept yet.

I think this speaks volumes on how bad last night was

*****************************************************************************
I just heard that prison inmates have been helping to clean up the debris from the tornadoes...don't know how I feel about that.

8 Comments:

Anonymous pia said...

omigawd, I'm so sorry

The picturesa are amazing

6:59 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Just glad you and yours are okay! ;)

7:18 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

How scary! I think that for those of us raised in areas where such things are nonexistent the mere thought is horrendous. However, earthquakes are awful for others whereas more normal for me...

I am glad to hear you and your family are ok!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

We were lucky Sunday night...if the worst tornado had stayed consistently on the ground, my families farm would have been entirely wiped out. It jumped around a bit, which was a blessing.

The worst thing about a tornado is that it happens so suddenly. One cannot prepare, only try to hide.

I had enough time to open the gate to the big pasture for my horses so that they could run away from the tornadoes if them had to. All of them are microchipped and freeze branded, so if they get lost I can find them.

I have been in one Texas hurricane, one California earthquake, and several mini earthquakes here in the Midwest. Yep, we get those here too. They usually are only big enough to rattle dishes/windows, but thats about it.

There is actually a small fault line that runs through my county.
One would never think that as I was growing up, we had fire, tornado, and earthquake drills during school.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Shelleigh (aka Pie Shell) said...

Wow. I have never been through any natural disaster... that is the one thing that makes up for our searing heat and rangefires every summer. No earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, nuthin' in the desert.

Thank GOD you and yours are okay - I have some concerns about a couple of our friends due to cryptic posts however....

Happy Tuesday girl - BE SAFE.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Believe it or not, I miss Midwestern tornado storms. The sound of the siren was always exciting and yellow skies, too.

Are you near Springfield, IL? My ancestral home.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Sar said...

Cowgirl, I meant to get over here yesterday and I apologize I didn't. I'm so relieved to hear you and your family fared well all things considered. I think it's amazing you found it interesting vs. scary - that's incredible. I'd have been terrified.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Major John said...

We had IDOC inmates help us during the 1993 Mississippi floods - I was a young 1LT with a company of troops - I was glad of all thehelp I could get!
Glad you are safe...

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home