Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mission Complete

Ain't he cute! I found him as a skinny little kitten at a horse show when I was in seventh grade, so he is about 12 now. What a character he is.







That is my red cowboy boot in the picture. Yep, my favorite shit kickers.
Red is my color - vivacious like me. ; )


Last night was a wonderful night, in several ways. Amazing, actually. Things really do come full circle. But I'll talk about the karaoke contest first. I'm going to make two posts, this night was so big for me! Eeekkk (squeals like a school girl)! You'll understand... keep reading.

This karaoke contest I was in (results coming - I promise) is all over the local radio stations (country, rock, oldies, hit list/pop), created to get people out to the bars beyond their usual turf. You qualify for the BIG contest by winning one of the preliminary contests. That contest is near the end of March. The top prize for that is $1500 and recording time in a studio, along with other crap that I don't care about, except maybe being a guest DJ.

It was held in a bar on the outskirts of my hometown, about five minutes away from where I live hidden by empty corn fields. If I am driving, that is. If I really want an adventure, I take a four wheeler, because I can cut through the fields. No redneckin' it, had to have nice hair; therefore I drove my truck (big crew cab diesel). Still country.

It started at 9PM, and I was there early enough to drink a beer and my newly appointed favorite shot before hand. I'm glad I did, because this place was overflowing with people. Fantastic way to tell how you did, because if you rocked, they shook the walls of that little low ceiling place. You know it is packed when the trusted locals (uh hum, me) get their own beers and put the money in the register. But I draw the line at dumping the ash trays.

Anyway, there were three rounds, and we had no clue who(m) was actually judging this thing. The first round, I was able to pick my song - "Just Might (Make Me Believe)" by Sugarland.
I used to believe in us
When times got tough
But lately I'm afraid that love is not enough

Nailed that - I sing it all the time. I was shocked by how many people were there singing! Most of them were ok, some absolutely sucked (shot...someone get me a shot!), and then there were about 5 others that had some chops. Hmmm... 10 people picked for the next round, including me.

Ding. Ding. The judges picked the next song - I got "Jesus Take The Wheel" by Carrie Underwood. I had never sang that for karaoke before, but did just fine. At least all of the people there knew THAT song. It let me show off my voice, so I was happy. Four others and I make it to the final round.

Round three - ding, ding. This time the other contestants pick your song. Oy! And I am going first, so I do not have time to think about what I get assigned. Well, I think these people thought all I could sing was country (hehehehe). I am sure they were hoping I would bomb singing.... "Fall Behind Me" by the Donnas! (Believe me, I tried really hard to keep my shit eating grin hidden).

You're gonna fall behind me
You're gonna cry and beg for mercy
'Cause you're not ready and baby
You got nothing on me!

Ok, I'll quit toying with you and tell you I won. Got $200 bucks and get to be in the big shindig. Goody. Now I have to figure out what I am going to wear. (I am sure one of you are thinking, clothes - dumbass, right?) Perhaps some leather and lace?

I honestly didn't think I would win. The bigger contest is a lot harder.

But the best part of the night was running into the guy I dated all through high school, Travis. Or should I say Dr. Travis. We split up after the summer before his freshman year in college and my Senior year in high school, and I hadn't seen him since, or given him another thought really. I didn't realize until last night (or this morning) how much I had loved this boy... er, man. To be continued in another juicy post.

As the sawdust turns...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Shelleigh (aka Pie Shell) said...

OMG - you so CAN NOT leave us hanging like that. YOU CAN NOT! This morning??? This morning??? Did you stay up all night talking with him, because you sure as heck weren't POSTING this morning. All right leather and lace... SPILL!!!! Ha haaaaaaa! Good on you for the contest girl - go get'em...

...cute cat... now about Dr. Travis...

5:12 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Good for you... see I told ya! :)

Need to give us a little of your voice... record us something! ;)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home