Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Intervention At The Pump

While at one of the gas stations in my hometown today, I got another funny reminder of small town life. This one particular station I was at has an intercom that is used to tell you when your pump is turned on. Guess this makes the employees look at each vehicle before they turn the gas on, to make sure they can identify the vehicle if it drives off.

At least, that is what I hope it is for, as surely some of these people around here aren't THAT stupid.

Pump one, your pumps ready, blared the gas station attendant, as I leaned against my truck, watching $2.69 per gallon fuel rack up on the pump's meter. Ouch. Just have to have this beast of mine.

Pump five is ready... Cody!? You better make sure you put your seat belt on. Drive the speed limit boy, those cops already don't like you.

All this time, I am trying to nonchalantly glance over at the little beat up Ford Ranger that the kid is driving, because this lady is cracking my ass up tormenting him. He is trying to act like he is not the one being lectured, but it isn't working. One customer is already chuckling.

Young man, who is that with you? Joshua, is that you?! You better put that seat belt on now, boy. Don't make me call your Grandmother! booms the speaker. By now this poor kid looks like he wants to go hide, and the other one is slinking down in the seat, tugging the bill of his Illini cap. The one pumping gas slams the lever on the pump, fumbles while putting the nozzle back, and hurries into the store to pay.

As he walks back out of the store, the speakers warn, You two stinkers better behave. There are eyes all over this town, I'll find out if you have been causin' trouble. You hear me!?

By now, I am laughing pretty hard, as the look on their faces was priceless. They both put their seat belts on like good little boys, and off they zoomed in that ratty Ford Ranger. The one named Joshua checked me out when they went past, and I couldn't help but shake my finger at him.

After I got into the store, I found out that the gas station attendant was the Aunt of the kid named Cody, who it turns out just turned 16. This was his first day as a licensed driver, and she couldn't resist the temptation of harrasing him. Poor kid. He should have went to another station!

*************************************************************************************

Chick update: Maude is down to nine chicks. I don't know what happened, but I am going to start putting them in for the night so that they are safe from hawks and other bad critters.

13 Comments:

Blogger Rude1 said...

God I love small towns! What a great story.

Sorry about your chicks :( I still cant get the B & C tune out of my head..."they get the job done"

4:01 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

That is pretty funny... ;)

Sounds like something my Aunt would have done to me... :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

Funny stuff Cowgirl. I too grew up in a small town, and I'd have to say it kept me and my friends out of a lot of trouble. However, it also made us all the more clever devils when we didfinally find ways to circumvent small town gossip and terrorize our sleepy municipality known as Waveland, MS which BTW is very sleepy now. :-(

5:38 PM  
Blogger Major John said...

That was priceless! I can only imagine how that kids was just dying with embarrassment - HA!

Thanks for sharing that one.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I live at the only state (I think) in the country where gas attendants still pump our gas. Don't hate me cause I'm from Jersey.:)

7:21 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

HILARIOUS!! I am from a small town. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

5:46 AM  
Blogger The Village Idiot said...

Oh Man...that Aunt Rocks! Having been on the receiving end of something similiar..I am just waiting for my chance....

1:12 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

She is something else. You just wouldn't see that in a huge town.

I do love small towns. But I am SO beyond ready to get out of here. And out of this state.

My possible relocation list - Tennessee, Texas, or Kentucky. Just gotta chose and do it.

So if you know of any good small town NOT in Cornland - holler.

LOL

1:16 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Great story. My town is so big, I wander around and NEVER bump into anyone I know. Unless of course it is the day I decide to go out real quick in house cleaning clothes with no makeup and a ballcap covering bad hair. :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

That is pretty funny. Was it a Casey's? Tell me you were at Casey's.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Doug - How did you know that!!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

That's pretty funny! The gas station story, not the poor chickies. They need mama Cowgirl.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Shelleigh (Pixie) said...

OMG. That is hysterical. I wanna move to a small town. I do, I do!

Send those chicks, L&L, I'll keep them safe!!!!

* muah *!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home