Saturday, March 04, 2006

Giddy up!

I just love this picture of a trainer I know. Those spurs look like they could be used for self-motivation. This would only be funnier if the whip was in his hand instead of his back pocket. He is one of the most talented trainers in my breed of horses, yet he put a lot of effort into staying on that little piece of metal. Ride 'em cowboy!





Part of the job training horses is going to horse shows. Showing also has the motto of the Army - Hurry Up and Wait. Things are either busy and hectic making sure the stall curtains and tack rooms are set up, horses are getting tacked up on time, clients are dressed in their show clothes, and making sure everyone knows where they need to be when so that they make the gate for their classes. But sometimes there are big lulls in the show when no one in your training barn has anything to do.

Therefore, you create you own fun; getting motivation from some of the trainers having their own wet bars in client lounges. These people pay a lot of money to show their horses, so the least we can do is insure that they have fun doing it. Schmoozing and boozing is also part of being a trainer. Babysitting is too, as the aforementioned clients tend to forget that they might want to be able to get ON their horse - I've seen them try to get on, only to keep going on over to the other side. (Shakes head).

Sometimes declaring war on a neighboring trainer and their clients is the most satisfying. This can be done with a water fight, or perhaps rearranging all of their pictures and flowers. One of my personal favorites was during one of the biggest, most prestigious shows of the year. Someone (names withheld due to security reasons) put bath bubbles in another barn's water fountain used in their landscaping around their stalls. Bubbles were everywhere.

The all time best prank I participated in was when I was in high school. Several of my horse show friends and I had decided that since it was our last year of showing as youth exhibitors, that we should pull something off that everyone would be talking about still when we had our kids showing horses. So we put the show manager's golf cart in a manure dumpster. I know... sad.

He did it to himself for always complaining that he dealt with shit all day.

I thought maybe I should elaborate a bit about what I do to feed myself now that I am not training horses. I live in what used to be my great-grandparents place (I never knew them) - I can look out the window and see my parent's house. It was willed to my dad, and he has kept it to rent out. Luckily for me, it opened up the first part of January. I only have to pay my utilities. My parents decided to let me live in it for nothing in exchange for painting the walls, at least for now.

Currently, I work for my best friend's dad at his graphics shop. He bought a printer in the early 90's so that he could put the graphics on his own race cars, and ended up quitting farming because business was too good. I have helped him off and on; I absolutely love it. He pays cash every Friday, so I can't complain.

I have total freedom as long as I get things done on time. I work odd hours and I have no set schedule. I get paid per design I create or "tweak,"and per hour for everything else. I have his program on my computer, so I can work on things at home if I want, take it to the shop, and print it.

I design signs/graphics, cut out graphics, answer phones, and flirt with the customers that come in. I swear, he should start charging for coffee and add some rocking chairs. Somedays I feel like all they do is come in to look at my ass while I am working. Maybe I will put a tip jar next to the coffee pot.

One day I might be putting the graphics on a squad car, and another I might be putting a trucker's name/company on his rig. Bossman and I are firm believers in using only reflective material on the squad cars - they practically glow in the dark.

There is always an ambulance, firetruck, squad car, boat, or race car in the shop being worked on. Everyone who is running for a political office has been ordering TONS of signs, especially those running for sheriff. I have been putting together signs for Bowl For Kids Sake for the past two weeks; three different counties worth.

I might bitch about being back in my hometown, but everytime I see a city vehicle I smile because those are my designs! Our work is everywhere - on contractor's trucks, store windows, bumper stickers, you name it.

I think my favorite part about the job is being able to lose myself in it. Quite the sight I am, singing at the top of my lungs with the radio while putting what amounts to fancy electrical tape on stuff. Fun times!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a lot of fun tonight. This post I already had typed up so that I could quickly post it when I came home. Travis is here, so I don't want to be on here long. I'll fill you in on the rest after Trav and I get back from having breakfast with his mom and dad. If you emailed me, I will email you then too while I am working on some new projects.

6 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Fun, Cowgirl. What are you singing?

7:36 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I have little choice of what I sing to while jamming at the shop, as the Bossman likes to keep the stereo on the "#1 Hit Music" station in the area. Which is just fine by me.

Karaoke and singing wise, I tend to stick with country music; take Jennifer Nettles from Sugarland, Gretchen Wilson, Sara Evans, and Avril Lavigne (not country) in a cocktail shaker, click your heels three times, and you have the sound of this cowgirl.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Champ - Love Hound said...

Thankyou for your comments on my blog. I just checked your profile 'n' read your last post, you seem like a Partyin' type girl,hmmm.

Hope you 're doin' good. *Smiles*
God bless you....

1:17 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

Champ - You've got me - I like to have fun. Here recently I seem to have so much more time to go out and really get wild.

Words I live by: Work hard, play hard.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I think I just realized that Doug's comment has something to do with the tip jar I was talking about....

7:43 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

great post-nice to know more about you. :-)

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home