Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Cornfed

"Heaven forbid that I am just like anyone else."



An odd calmness has fallen over me. I am feeling a lot better today. I haven't heard anything in regards to my friend's case; however she does seem to be doing pretty good considering.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I am doing, who I am, and where I am headed. Today feels like I am at a cross roads. I can be surrounded by people, but I feel alone.

I do however, know for sure I want to move. But I want to be in a smaller town. Definitely country, and south. I'm thinking Tennessee still, or Texas. But I am leaning Tennessee.

************************************************************************************* Small Towns

1) You can name everyone you graduated with (and some of their siblings).

2) You know what 4-H and FFA means. And possibly belonged. (I belonged to both).

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, water way, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods/fields when the party was busted. (See #6.)

This is one of the things a truck bed is for.


4) You used to "drag" Main, or "cruise" around the square (affectionately known as the Squarcle, because it isn't a square really).

5) Your parents would hear about any trouble you got into, because everyone knows you. (Trick is, don't get caught!)

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers, because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't. (I was lucky because my friend's dads were the sheriff, 2 deputys, 2 city kittys, and a state trooper - so we were ok as long as we didn't kill anyone lol).


Getting dirty is so much fun.


7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your parents anyhow.)

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them. (Or hang out behind the barn or out in the waterway).

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your buyer dropped off. (Better if it was in the snow).

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town. (Diversity)

11) The whole school went to the same party after games, homecoming, prom, and graduation.

12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by references. Turn by Strickland's house, go 2 blocks to the Holme's house, and it's four houses left of the track field.

13) You wave at everyone that waves, because if you didn't, someone would think you didn't know who they were or accuse you off being stuck up.

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car/truck stayed filthy because of the dirt/gravel roads.

16) The town next to you was considered "trashy" or "snooty," but was actually just like your town.

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer then 1975 as the "rich people."

18) The people in the "big city" dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend 2 years later.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found on the square if you couldn't get ahold of them on the phone.

20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends driving a grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The coach suggested you haul hay for the summer to get muscled up. (I never got a choice, my family baled hay).

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference. (Now my hometown has several stoplights...)

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would pull over and ask if you needed a ride.

24) No one got nervous at the sounds of someone shooting, especially if it was deer season.

Guess where this is?


25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents/siblings/relatives. They also called you by your older siblings' names.

26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without any ID.

27) The closest mall was 20 miles away (or more).

28) You could go back home to pay for gas if you forgot your money, and they knew you would come back to pay. (It's not like they didn't know where everyone lived).

29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower. (And usually drinking a beer).

30) You've pee'd in a field or in the timber.

31) Most people went by a nickname. (Mine - Red or Mitchel E).

7 Comments:

Blogger The ZenFo Pro said...

Damn, that's an awesome post. There are lots of reasons I feel absolutely blessed to have grown up on a farm in the middle of Virginia :) I prefer smaller cities these days, but I still have to go home every once and a while to visit the kinfolk...

We used to drag...and go "rootin'." I still refuse to own an automatic; I learned to drive on a Ford 6600 tractor :)

That list made my day, actually.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Dayum Cowgirl, we must have grown up in the same town LOL!! Each and every one was so true about my home town, except there is still only one light!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Okay... now I think this thing is working now... It wouldn't let me comment earlier...

As for the list... how perfect is that? How true... I mean... HOW TRUE!!!!!

BTW... We would love to have you here in TN... :)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I took off the verification so I can comment on my own damn blog! Geesh!!!!

zenfo pro - I am so happy I made your day! I learned how to drive stick in an old beat up grain truck when I was eight. Had to practically jump on the clutch to get it to change gears...it sucked. That dang thing is STILL being used on the farm.

My diesel quad cab is an automatic - I hate hauling my gooseneck and changin gears.

My dad is a green freak - probably because they share the same first name.

Rude1 - This place is really growing. We have several new stoplights and lots of development (makes me cry every time I see timber thinnned out or farmland disapearing). I got a warning the other day because I blew through a new stop sign, that was not there when I moved away from home.

Funny thing is, he got right out of his squad car, and said "Hey Mitchel E! I didn't know you were back home! How you doin' girl?" How small town is that?!

Shayna - I can think of SO many more, but this is what I went with. The funny thing is is that unless you lived in a small town, it might sound "red-neck" - but it is so not.

I honestly want to write a book about growing up in a small town.

I definitely need to get outta of here. Time for a change in a new locale. And I might as well do it now while I can, or I will probably always be stuck in my hometown. *sigh*

9:27 AM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

HA! MY diesel quad cab is auto too! I switched to auto many years ago so I could 4x4 and not have to put my beer down to shift! :)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

LOL, also, I remember my sister ran into one of my friends from HS during her 20 year reunion (she's been gone for about 15 years). He passed her at the bank and said "Hey Txxxxxx."; that was it, like he had seen her just last week or something. Too funny. I want to read that book when you write it!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home