Sunday, February 05, 2006

Terror At The Gas Pump

Over lunch today the military dominated much of the conversation. Ok, a third of it was about the hottie Reserves guy turned belligerent drunk, but during the rest of the time I actually had a good time talking to my friend about Iraq, etc. He agrees with me that many people have somewhat forgotten about 9/11. The Midwest is on average at least supportive of our troops, but I would say that there are quite a few that do not support the war because they forgot that is isn't about the terror at the gas pump, but rather the terror the average person cannot even fathom.

I feel even better after talking to him about being in the Guard. It just feels right, and I am positive that I am doing it for the right reasons.

Check out BlackFive's blog; he was just on CNN participating in a story about ABC newsmen Bob Woodruff and Doug Vogt, who were injured while embedded with Iraqi soldiers by an IED and following ambush. BlackFive is right on, as usual. I understand where BlackFive is coming from, and I agree that the majority of the time the media is hurting the war.

I feel compelled to explain my view more. I think that the real issue is that the men and women that pay the ultimate price to protect our freedoms do not get the acknowledgement that they deserve. It is enraging that these sacrifices are not portrayed in the media more inline with the coverage of Woodruff and Vogt; and it is sad that the Iraqi soldiers and their interpreter that saved their asses were not used by the media in support of what this whole war is about. The media is the reason that most "uninformed" civilians believe that we are fighting a war about gasoline, not terrorism. The media needs to show what is really going on in Iraq, what good is being done, and pay respect to those putting their lives on the line everyday instead of using the terror in Iraq as a way to encourage people that we need to get out of Iraq, and that we are there for the wrong reasons.

Too many people believe everything that the media has to say. I advise taking it with a grain of salt. The freedom that the media has to portray its coverage and the freedom that BlackFive, other milbloggers, and I have to express our views is what is at stake. The right to say whether or not one supports the war, our troops, or our President are all things that are threatened in the long run.

For a month now, a story about a local firemen that died after saving a child from a fire has been in some form of news almost every day. I knew him and attended his visitation out of respect. I am hurt that he paid the ultimate price. However, how does this saddening loss stand out amongst the fallen and injured troops when they are defending everyone's life and freedoms. There might be a small blip on the radar when a local has became a fallen hero, but this pales in contrast to the great debate about whether bars should ban smoking. But I digress....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home