Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Must..have..coffee....

Ever since I have been home, I try not to go shopping in town, or be seen out where I could be cornered and asked how I have been, why I am back in town... the list goes on. If you knew my hometown, you would understand why. It is safe to venture out at night, but during the day the mothers and grandmothers that knew me growing up are lurking in every grocery aisle, waiting for their chance to strike.

Unfortunately, I had to run in town. Couldn't live without coffee. Ugh. I had it all planned; I would hurry in the grocery store, grab coffee, and hope there was a checkout without someone I knew in it.

Why? Because I have been away from home for about seven years now. I was the wholesome girl next door growing up; relatively demure. I was a "good girl," always had good grades, played sports, friends with everyone. A total pony tail and jeans girl, hiding. Totally unaware of what I had going for me until I went to college and went out in the real world.

I blossomed outside of my hometown fishbowl. I remember one of my suitemates Terren saying she wished that she was as pretty as I was, and I am sure my jaw dropped because I thought she was drop-dead gorgeous. Hearing that from her was a revelation. I learned cleavage was a good thing, and that it was ok to reveal some skin. Makeup was an art form I quickly embraced from my model friend. Flaunt it while you got it, right?

I didn't have to work Monday, but I had already gotten all gussied up to meet with some college buddies (including my girl Terren) for lunch. And it was 60 degrees out, so I wore, as my mother would say, "one of those" shirts.

But damn it, I just had to have coffee. I was having withdrawals.

"Well, hello! How are you! I haven't seen you since your speech at graduation." exclaimed a voice suddenly grasping my arm. Oh shit. The mother of one of the most popular, prettiest girls in my class of 1999. Here it goes, I thought to myself. Suck it up, soldier.

I smiled and told her that I had finished school, blah, blah, and was back home to be with closer to family. Nice PC information. Not much gossip material.

"I almost didn't recognize you. You have gotten SO pretty, honey. What happened to that little country girl?"

What! Is that a compliment, or a dig? Is she saying I wasn't pretty before? What kind of reaction do I give to that? Reconfirms my non-hometown shopping efforts. Too awkward.

I smiled and said coyly without missing a beat, "Guess they save the best for last. Late bloomers are all the rage now." I managed an exit, bought the damn coffee, and smiled all the way home.

I think I am over my fear of being cornered now. I could have fun with this.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Luke said...

what a wonderful thing to realize that high school has little to do with our eventual place in the world

you have a way with words girl

8:10 PM  
Anonymous shayna said...

Secret... I run when I see people I don't want to talk tooooo! ;)

LOL! I live in a small town now... can't help but running into those people from my past!

Great come back you had for her! :)

8:26 PM  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I still can't believe I said that to her!


It surprises me how many people still live in the world they were in while in high school. Sad.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous blade said...

conserve gas
shop in town
tell them all to f - off
hold your head high, and smile

10:42 PM  
Anonymous pia said...

it takes some people a lifetime to get over high school.

Didn't take you a lifetime;-)

And blossoming outside high shcool is the best revenge

Great remark!

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Shelleigh (aka Pie Shell) said...

I have changed so much, no one from high school would recognize me; I'm so blessed. ;)

7:06 AM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

LOL, I was voted most changed at my 10 year reunion lol, from long-haired skinny (I mean SKINNY!) cowboy to big-city man! Bwahahahahaha! I still remember how NONE of the hot girls would talk to me, then, when I came back, they wouldn't leave me alone. I kept thinking, hey, I'm the same guy, I just got away for a while and opend my eyes.

Great writing, I'll be back

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home